vrijdag 16 mei 2008

Daniel Serrano, Kolle Rebbe Hamburg

Half Equadorian, half Swiss, but living his whole life in Germany; his diverse nationalities are not the only thing that's making Daniel Serrano stand out from all other creatives. He's the type of art-director who could wake you up in the middle of the night because he wants to tell a concept and the only Miami Ad School student I know who managed to maintain a permanent relationship. 'Mister Ham' -as he was called by his fellow students- won various awards during his student time and he's still hungry for more.

Today it's wednesday, day number three of my week, and three more days until there they are: my first holidays since I'm working at Kolle-Rebbe in Hamburg. But already those three days showed pretty much what my "creative week" and even the first six months looked like.

Monday: Changing a photo briefing
Tuesday: Spending the whole day on the shoot.
Today: Meetings with an other photographer, drawingsome corrections into proofs, choosing locations for the next shooting, writing briefings for the after next shooting, and… taking a look on the material from Tuesday.

Being an art director at Kolle-Rebbe means producing a lot. Day by day. Always in a hurry, but – fair enough– no work on weekends and I most often leave the office when there is still daylight left.

Sorry… I've been a bit lazy. Two days have passed since I wrote the last lines. Too much work and the rest of the day I've spent with my girlfriend and her two kids. We live together as a family and I am happy that I have time to spend with them. Not every agency in Hamburg gives you the possibility to have a family life when you're not a creative director of CEO. Which
doesn't mean that it's not an uncreative agency. Three weeks ago I've won my first official nail at the german ADC for a viral that I did for YouTube Germany (one of our clients). It won in the category virals and got honored in the category cinema. That's a great start! But it's not Horst Schlämmer :(

This all makes me think of my think of my ex team partner Andy Tran who works as an AD for JvM in Hamburg. We've had a great time together at school and made some good stuff, but we've always been totally different personalities and now it's even the same with the job. He might spend about 90% of his time (that's just guessing) working on SOE-ideas (search of excellence) and maybe 10% daily business. I'm spending 95% of my time with daily business, but I am still so hungry for some award winning shit :)

But for now it's enough. It's the first day of my holidays now and I am looking forward to see great ads in Miami where you might find me at the beach tanning my brown belly.

Geen opmerkingen: