donderdag 7 februari 2008

Dominik Maass, KemperTrautmann Hamburg

Before going to the Miami Ad School Dominik Maass worked with mentally handicapped people. Which is actually a good background for advertising, where people are plain crazy. After Dominik graduated the agency KemperTrautmann was smart enough to offer him a job. Read all about his first week.

I remember my enrollment at the age of seven: out of my school cone (it’s what children in Germany get on their first day in school, filled with small toys and sweets) came the head of a plushy clown doll. I found it funny.
Today I know it was the sign, that I end up in advertising.

At my first day at Kempertrautmann, my mom didn’t bring me to the agency and I even didn’t get a school cone or better: agency cone. But a nice flower which is still on my table, dying, and a guide about my new agency. It was written with positive thinking and encouraged me. I mean I was already full of animation, but this text motivated me even more. I had to pee.

A bit later then I was shown my office. To be honest, I didn’t expect to get an office. Me, the junior copywriter. A childrens room with terrific toys from clients was what I was thinking I would get. And to share it with other juniors. No, my teampartner and I got a nice office on the CD floor. That was already better than any school cone, and better than my first day in elementary school, where I had to share a room with 25 mates.

The people and the building are really nice. I didn’t have the time to talk with the building until now, but I sure will do that soon. It’s a glass house in the centre of Hamburg, near to Gucci, Prada and a shop for carnival called „Fahneneck“.

The first day passed by really good. Writing headlines for Edding was one of the jobs, followed by writing lines for Comedy Central. The next days then showed me, how real advertising daily routine looks like: one job after the other. BAM! BAM! BAM! The timetable of my second day looked like this: Comedy Central, Siemens, Comedy Central, Siemens, Siemens, Siemens.
Already at my internships I recognized, that agency life is so not always Cannes, Cannes, Cannes. At the Miami Ad School we got trained to do award advertising. Real life looks different. I’m sure you know that! BUT: we get our opportunities and are allowed to do fun and award stuff freestyling at KT. PLUS: I am getting used to daily life advertising. And eating Indian food for lunch.

As Niklas’ points for driving too fast got deleted, I think they put his points as kilos on my weight. But I am sure somewhere out there, in Hamburg Centre, there will be a salad place. I will check it out! Or ask a turtle.

1 opmerking:

paddy zei

Hey Domi! Good to see you are settling into the real ad world. you have come a long way since that first assignment me and Tim gave you. Do you remember the crosses???haha. Happy to see you at Kemper T. All the best your brother Paddy