donderdag 20 maart 2008

Yigit Unan, Duval Guillaume Brussels


Nobody can tell whether Yigit Unan is in fact a copywriter or an art-director. Yes, he worked as an editor for a music/urban lifestyle magazine after his study. But he is also a skilled illustrator and art-director who makes layouts as detailed as a technical drawing (which probably has something to do with his study environmental engineering). After the Miami Ad School he started to work as copywriter/art-director at Duval Guillaume Brussels.

Allright... Seems like this is going to be more difficult than I thought it would be. I am in fact writing for the blog of my team-partner and any moment now, this might turn into some sort of confession of a husband to his wife (considering the rather sophisticated sense of humor of the readers of this blog I feel comfortable by choosing this analogy. I hope I'm doing the right thing).

First I definitely have to fire away few sentences about the company I am working for together with Robin: Duval Guillaume Brussels. I seriously think that this place is one of the most amazing shops one could land in in europe. It's like, how should i put it, perfect. We might not have a PS3 attached to a wall projector and a 30.000 Watts of stereo output but we have a cellar that have rooms with sharks, an African national park, an old school speedboat ride, a kicker table, several hundred bottles of soft drinks and a car ramp. Physically, the company is a hollow tower with floors consisting of corridors which look up into the endless opening in the center. It's ideal for sniping purposes and verbal intercourse between different floors at once. The creative directors are simply amazing. They have more clients per CD compared to many other companies but are determined not to conduct the huge amount pressure they are under to their subordinates and still manage to be great at what they do. This is something one should appreciate. In the short amount of time is spent here, they already become the advertising people I want to become in 3 to 5 years.

Ok, back to the real question! This was a hell of a week which involved many sorts of excitement and mixed feelings. My favorite roommate -who, with 1m57 was the tiniest european girl I met during my 3 years of experience with the continent- moved out of our flat to get herself a new life in her hometown Paris. I am sad but, go Marion! Creative reflection of this event: none. Physical reflection: significant raise in the length of arms and fingers due to countless trips made between the flat and the van waiting outside while carrying furniture and clothes of a fashion designer girl.

I had a birthday on Monday. I threw a lightning-fast "cake eating and excessive drinking" party. Number of people I invited: about fifteen. Number of people who really showed up: three (out of which one I didn't even know but was glad he came). Creative reflection: huge motivation to work on self promoting. Physical reflection: dehydration, headache, massive raise in sugar level to be stored as body fat from the next day on.

My girlfriend traveled about 2800 km to pay me a visit. Creative reflection: tremendous temporary improvement in art direction skills to make from a regular plate of pasta a 200-dollar dinner in Hilton's Restaurant. Physical reflection: complete chaos in all vital systems following the suspension of most brain functions and a near-meltdown in hormonal system.

In the meantime I had to work on several ongoing projects, because I am very well aware of the catastrophic global results of failure in job. Advertising is a mechanism of chain reactions which can bring salvation to humanity or lead it to its doom. Absolute doom. So this awareness was the motivation behind the spectacular TV billboards we created for the bottled water client we had. Same for the campaign we are going to make for our car client and the radio station. We do this, so the World can circle around its axis for another 24 hours in safety and happily (Hmm, I read too much comics, don't I?).

As a last word for this week, I would like to thank capitalism for giving birth to consumerism, brands and advertising. Whenever I am in despair, I imagine myself trying to make an ad in a communist system for a bakery: choose bakery 48, it's so much closer to your house than bakery 42! Hurray!

Geen opmerkingen: